Club History

The Fairfax Host Lions Club, chartered on February 21, 1951, was sponsored by the Vienna Host Lions Club. The late James C. Hill, Past International Director, served as the organizer and Rothwell J. Lillard was the Charter President. There were 29 charter members of the club.

The Club became a Host Club in 1966 when it proudly sponsored the Fairfax Mid-Day Lions Club. We also sponsored the Clifton Lions Club in 1969, the Fairfax A.M. Lions Club in 1975, and the West Fairfax Lions Club in 1983. Only the Clifton Lions Club is currently active.

Originally, our Club held its meetings at Speer’s Restaurant. During 1955-57, we met at the Fairfax Country Club. For the next 10 years meetings were held at the Old Coach Inn, located across from the old Fairfax High School (Pope Paul VI High School) where The Shops of Fairfax are located. In 1967 we met at the Mosby Inn in the Mosby Building on Main Street and then moved to the Black Baron that is now P.J. Skidoos. In the Spring of 1970 we moved to Bob’s Beef House. In the Fall of 1984 when Bob sold his establishment, we met at several different places and then moved to Mama’s Italian Restaurant when it opened in the renovated building that was formerly Bob’s Beef House. In 2006, after the sale of Mama’s, we moved to our current meeting location at the American Legion.

Fairfax Host Lions Club has been honored to have two members elected District Governor of 24-A: Lion Bill Smith in 1978 and Lion Bill Bartlett in 1997. Throughout the years many of our members have contributed to the leadership of our Club and District 24-A. Our Club, in conjunction with the Fairfax County Health Department, founded the Lions Club Eye Clinic in 1966 at the Joseph Willard Health Center. This is currently the Lions Eye Clinic – a part of the Fairfax Hospital.

Past Presidents and Secretaries

YEAR PRESIDENT SECRETARY
Secured By miniOrange